December 25th 2016
Some of you lucky ones have been given a book for Christmas, so inevitably, you’ve hit the internet to find out who this Morden bloke is and whether he’s any good. So, here’s a quick primer before you delve deeper into the website (free stories, even a free book, essays, stuff like that…).
- Yes, I have a PhD in planetary geophysics. I don’t use it explicitly in most of my stories, but you’ll discover that even when a story is allegedly a fantasy, it’s also science fiction. And yes, I accidentally got to handle a piece of Mars.
- Some of my characters are quite sweary. I’ve got a bit of a reputation for that. Sometimes (Sam Petrovitch, Peter Buber, Mary) they just are, because people just are. At least Petrovitch mostly swears in Russian.
- I don’t write the same book twice. Some authors with ongoing series follow a formula. I don’t: I like to challenge myself each and every time to write something different. It probably loses me readers, but it keeps my interest.
- I’ve inexplicably fallen in love with running, at a late age. I’m not very good at it, but neither am I as terrible as I was when I first started. I run for all sorts of reasons – fitness, community, mental wellbeing – but chiefly, to feel the burn. Weird, I know.
- My newsletter is one of the best ways of keeping up with what I’m doing. I started it half way through 2016, and genuinely enjoy writing it. I try and send it out every month, and you can subscribe to it here.
There’s lots more stuff about cats, politics and religion, but that’s for another day. Anyway, enjoy the book, and hopefully you’ll buy more!